Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Colombia Part 11: Transit y Fiesta

If this is your first time reading the blog, do not start with this entry. Its filler and not representative of the general quality of the blog (Long term readers will be fine and should read on). I would not recommend this part to anyone who is not a hardcore fan of long distance arse grinding bus journeys with Americans who sound like Spock, as thats primarily what it is. It is in here for completists sake. Oh yeah the pound needs to be tested for steroid abuse. A rise from 1.36:1 to 1.66:1 in one month is suspicious, but I am licking my lips over this Brazilian flight I am going to book getting cheaper as they can't keep up with exchange rate shifts. Also it will be fun to shaft the Galapagos Islands companies in august if it continues.

On the Colombian side of the border I sat in a collectivo for 30 minutes. That was shit. The cock kept waiting for more people to get in, but the passenger number remained about 5, because everytime he got someone new, someone else would leave from boredom. I can only assume he is still there waiting. I got a quote of $260 for Angel Falls. The river is now dry so we currently can't do it. Will se if things change. Its the same amount I will need to fly from Manaus to Macapa to get to French Guyana in time for the launch. Need to get Roraima cheaper, though cable car was broke here and everything is cheaper than expected, except for food. I was on a bus all day long. They must have been on a US military junket as I got 'Black Hawk Down' (great film, been hooked on the soundtrack since), 'Over There' (shitty) and 'Air Strike' (which they cut and I assume was shit). No food. Decided to go straight through as phone was not working and had not heard from Paula. I got some dinner and then a night bus to Bogota. Got a text from Paula a little too late. There was a police check. All the women had to seemingly do the hokey cokey. Not sure what the hell was going on there. Then they had to show their ankles. i can only assume that the policeman:

A) Has a foot fettish
B) There is a mysterious disease that only affects the ankles of women
C) He believed they were prostitutes and was searching for ankle bracelets
D) He is an idiot
E) He misses his childhood playground games

As this is not Ecuador I have eliminated option D. My moneys on C, but you never know. I arrived in Bogota. Over 30 hours on buses and I was not done yet. I checked into the usual hostel Sue, where the ensuing frozen in time table tennis was being played. I got my fourth room in the building. Woohoo. I am missing number 3 from the first 5. Next time, eh, next time. I finally applied for the damn course. It took all of that day and most of the next, but its submitted now. I need that to bail me out of my declining money lol. Raisa changed her birthday plans and I missed her initial text while I was drinking with some random English, Aussie and Danish guys/gals in the hostel. I went walking out to get a taxi and got bollocked by the taxi driver who eventually picked me up for walking in dangerous areas. I still don't find Bogota dangerous. Will see when I live there. Enjoyed walking around my future home again. Lets hope the application goes well. We ended up at Maroma. Another funky Bogota bar. If only they opened later. This one had a retractable roof and shot out fireworks in between openings. Class. Met a cool Indian guy working there for a year and I like all of Raisa's friends. Will be a good bunch when I get back. Spent a large part of the evening chatting with a half Brazilian/half Colombian woman. Good company and a good night. Now I only had 2 hours sleep before I had to dash to the bus station to get the bus that you already now I missed. Oh yeah the Ecuadorean has written to me twice now in totally too complex Spanish for me lol. Good job I have translators. They will have to get credits in the book.

Well the next morning was the infamous waste of time in the bus station due to missed tickets. I wrote up everything last time. Andy Murray has just been knocked out. It must be the year for the Fed if he does not cock it up like he almost did against Tommy Haas yesterday. Meant another night bus. Fucking hell. In 4 days I ended up sleeping for two lots of two hours and on two night buses. No wonder I slept in today with a real bed. It was a productve unproductive day and all the logistical stuff is taken care of. Just need to sort out French Guyana now. I submitted the form, have Cayenne accomodation, people to meet in most of Venezuela and an invite to the shuttle launch in Korou. Must do all of Brazil minus Macapa, Manaus and Boa Vista as one now. Need to find out about Surinam visas in Caracas or now I could just come up the Amazon if they don't let me in. There was a big haired man who sounds like Spock. He followed me everywhere and has popped up in Merida again. Weird man. I need to read Chile and Argentina for Agus so we can sort out Patagonia together.

I have decided I will learn Spanish, play football and learn Salsa in Bogota. In Buenos Aires I will perfect Spanish, learn Portuguese for Brazil, learn Tango and play rugby. These are my additional targets for these cities despite working, having fun and settling down. Venezuela here we come. No hassles at the border. Cucuta is a shithole and they froze me to death with the evil aircon from hell. Fuck those bastards. They have fucked up my health again. I was in. Country number 44. More to follow when I get to Caracas.

No comments: