Friday, January 3, 2014

Macedonia and Kosovo

This is me attempting to catch my own tail by writing about a trip I did 2.5 years ago but never wrote up.  Obviously my memory won't be perfect on this, but I figured I should at least add my thoughts on these countries for completion sake.

The last thing I had written about was breaking down in our bus outside Korca or at least I think I did.  We got stuck there, the bus driver almost killed himself by reversing off the cliff and we eventually walked across the border into Macedonia where we were lectured for not getting an entry stamp into Albania.  Damn bus driver.  Oh well.  We met a couple of Argentinean guys at the border and grabbed the bus together to Lake Ohrid.

Lake Ohrid:  It's a beautiful place.  Really pretty.  We kicked back here for a couple of days and enjoyed wandering around the old town.  The castle was pretty and some tourists took a taxi to the old town.  I can understand.  I mean its a long 200m walk.  How can they cope.  There is an ampitheatre, as well as chuches and a stunning view across the lake.  Lots of stuff in my notes that I don't recognise but we found an amazing Russian restaurant overlooking the lake.  Really good food.  Just look for the signs only in Russian.  This place is well worth a visit.

Skopje:  This place on the other hand isn't really.  We had hassles finding our place to stay but the guy eventually picked us up and we got our own studio apartment for 9 euros each.  Mentally good value.  You could sleep 4 or 5 people there easily and you get an apartment smack in the centre of the city.  My notes say 'city a shithole' but they are trying hard to improve it.  We watched Priest in the cinema, broke the washing machine and saw a classical concert.  Not much to do here.

Kosovo:  I forgot to write my diary for the day we went to Kosovo (You can day trip from Skopje).  That should tell you all you need to know about the place.  It wasn't a highlight, but the people were super nice and we had amazing banana ice cream.

Other than Lake Ohrid (which was a highlight) I would just skip the rest.

No comments: